An Evening in Samsara




An Evening in Samsara.

I proudly claim that I am a Buddhist. I never realized that I was pretty wrong on my claim until one fine evening. 

April 21 2018 was a Saturday. As I entered the gates of  Memorial Chorten to get a dose of mental peace, I passed by neatly dressed men and women. The last rays of the setting sun was falling on the upper part of the Chorten. Spring was already in the air. I could hear peaceful bells from the Mani-Dungkhors. Flowers: pink and red were in full bloom. An old Gomchen was burning dried juniper leaves in an old clay pot. The juniper smell filled the evening air.  Drops of water was dripping down the vase off beautiful dakini statue. A flock of pigeons were going late to the nest that day as they were busy pecking the last grains scattered by some kindhearted humans that day.

I joined scores of fellow humans in going round and round the Chorten. Chanting of mani and prayers filled the evening air. After doing about 60 rounds, I took out my phone to check how many steps I had walked and how much calories I had burnt. As I put my phone back in my pocket and shifted my gaze, an old man was praying deeply standing at the entrance of the Chorten. This sight made me ponder upon my own actions: Why am I here? Why am I going round this Chorten? Why am I chanting prayers? In hope of finding some answers, I walked a few steps and sat on the wooden planks placed near the walls. I close my eyes, took a deep breathe of the fresh evening air and asked myself: What makes me a Buddhist?

As I analysed, it occurred to me that all  that evening, I was merely wasting my time. I realized I was grossly distracted and my mind was purely following physical objects like a man addicted to opium. I realized that going to the Chorten and just merely going round to burn some calories does not add any points to me being a Buddhist. I realized that mindlessly chanting prayers does not serve any purpose than wasting extra energy. 

The biggest realization came as a joyful feeling. I realized that I should be in fact thinking that all the defilement accumulated by my body throughout countless eons are purified by my act of circumnavigating the Chorten. Like wise, I should be mindful that by chanting prayers, all the sins accumulated through my speech are purified. I realized that we are planting karmic seeds every moment our life.And these seeds ought to be good ones if we want good karmic results. I now make a point to think in these lines every time I engage myself in 'Buddhist' stuff.

It finally occurred to me that being Buddhist is much much more than daily rituals such as offering water and chanting prayers. Being Buddhist is being mindful of every move of ours. Being Buddhist is watching diligently every moment to the type of karmic seeds we are planting. And being Buddhist is to be compassionate not just to the powerful and the rich but also to the beggars and sick dogs. 

Finally, when I offer water in the morning to the Buddha, I am planting a karmic seed to grow the fruit enlightenment for all sentient beings. When I offer prostrations, I am mindful that my ego be reduced. When I light a butter lamp, I am mindful that my ignorance be cleared away. If at all, I am a very crude Buddhist.

A Saga-Dawa special edition. Written in Paro.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Like the reflection of moon in water

Why do we celebrate Blessed Rainy Day... Read on...

A curious case: Rebirth after thousand years