One Man and His Tomorrow.



View from Cheri monastery
One Man and His Tomorrow.

I have a feeling as if I am falling in love for the first time whenever I try to write after a gap of many months! I have always cherished the significance of living in this moment, for moments constitute life. We tend to forget this very moment while busy wondering about a more prosperous tomorrow. In fact, today is the tomorrow that we wanted to live yesterday. Today is the ‘future’ that we imagined many years ago. Today is the dream that we dreamed of living years ago. Today is the product of all our hard work and sweating that we have endured for many rainy days. If we fail to enjoy today, then when are merely existing but not living.

Living in the moment translates to being aware of one’s state of being at the moment and being grateful and rejoicing over all the good things you have in life today. Every morning as I wake up, I pull the purple window curtains to be greeted by a majestic view of the hills of Samazingkha with the morning sun shining with all its power and glory. I try to rejoice in the fact that I am able to wake up to yet another beautiful day and see this beautiful world. I open the windows and fresh morning air gushes in the room. The air is laden with aroma of spring flowers from the mountain. I inhale a lungful of fresh air and rejoice that my lungs are still functioning. How miraculous!! Had my lungs contacted even simple disease, my morning could be completely different. As I walk to the kitchen and bring a kettle full of water to boil, I rejoice in the sound of water boiling. Had my ears contacted an infection, my morning could be completely different. As I squeeze a half ripe lemon in warm water and take a sip of the juice, I rejoice that my ability to taste is still intact! How wonderful!!

It is no less than a divine grace that our body functions normally! Imagine even a small cell in your lungs start to grow abnormally and you have contacted cancer! I am at loss of words to describe how Mother Nature has wonderfully calibrated this mortal being known as human body!

If we break down our life, the smallest unit that we can possibly arrive at is ‘moments’. This moment is all we have got. Next moment is unknown and a mystery. Trying to live in the moments has immense benefit for one’s mental health. One compares less with others and helps cultivate a sense of value for small, negligible yet extremely necessary things in life. When trying to live in the moment, one can appreciate one’s own mortality and extend a feeling of compassion to all beings. When trying to live in the moment, one can be a better partner, a better colleague at work place, a better human being. When trying to live in the moment, one does not have time to be occupied with all these negative thoughts. Rather, one has all the time in the universe to rejoice, contemplate, debug and fix our mental settings so that one can lead a happy life. For happiness is nothing but a state of mind.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Like the reflection of moon in water

Why do we celebrate Blessed Rainy Day... Read on...

A curious case: Rebirth after thousand years